WELCOME TO THE ACADEMY OF COSMETOLOGY AND ESTHETICS NYC
Whether you dream of becoming a cosmetologist, barber, esthetician or other beauty professional, we know choosing a school is a big decision, but it should also be a fun one! Students tell us all the time that the moment they walked through our doors in The Academy NYC, something just felt different. We pride ourselves on our welcoming culture, inclusive environment and our commitment to bringing out the best in all of our students. We know that you’ll succeed when you feel supported, so our Learning Leaders do everything they can to help you prepare to pass the state board examination and launch your beauty industry career.
OUR PROGRAM LEVELS
LEVEL 1: CORE
A foundation course focusing on the fundamentals of cutting, color, texture, styling, skin and nails, and an introduction to our Paul Mitchell Schools culture. Future Professionals learn the fundamentals in theory, then practice them hands-on in the safe environment of the classroom. You’ll work on mannequin heads and receive close, personal attention from a Learning Leader guiding you every step of the way.
Technical Areas Covered Include:
- Braiding, up-styling and finishing
- Perming and smoothing hair
- Hair coloring and lightening
- Precision haircutting skills
- Manicure, pedicure, makeup and facials
- And much more
LEVEL 2: ADAPTIVE
The learning continues in the classroom and on the clinic floor, where Future Professionals practice and perfect the fundamental skills learned in Core. Adaptive-level students work on live models in a salon-like environment with the oversight and support of their Learning Leaders. You will work with professional products and learn how to conduct client consultations and create extraordinary guest-service experiences.
Areas Covered Include:
- Practice on real people in a salon-like environment
- Perfect your skills with help from Learning Leaders
LEVEL 3: CREATIVE
The Creative phase is where Future Professionals begin to expand their skills and learn more advanced and creative techniques. At the Creative level, students prepare to become salon-ready by working more independently. The pace and conditions are similar to those in a salon. You will develop your speed, build a résumé and portfolio and prepare to pass the state board test.
Areas Covered Include:
- Work independently (under the supervision of a Learning Leader)
- Prepare a career portfolio
- Prepare to pass the State Board test
- Develop speed and prepare to start your career
An optional course of intensive study within the Cosmetology program for those Future Professionals who want to be challenged to their highest level of performance. Phase Two students get advanced training and work in conditions that mimic salon reality. By planning, managing and setting team goals, and going that extra mile, you’ll learn to create your own success.
The Phase Two program features:
- A progressive clinic floor classroom setting environment
- Accelerated guest booking and double-booking
- Team-based guest service systems
- Personal and team goal setting for services and Take Home
- Refinement of creative technical skills
- High level of independence in decision making
- Collaborative and consultative relationship with the Phase Two Leader
- Special Phase Two guest artists
BECOME A MAKEUP ARTIST
TECHNICAL AREAS COVERED INCLUDE:
- Color theory, matching, and correction
- Contouring, highlighting, and shading
- Brow shape and design
- Eye shape, contrast, texture, liner
- Blush and lip application
- Airbrush makeup
- Bridal, Beauty, Fantasy, Haute Couture, Black and White Media, and Period Makeup
- Photoshoot and runway makeup
- Marketing and social media
The Makeup Program is not an accredited program and applicants cannot receive Title IV for this program.